Friday, December 14, 2012

When tragedy strikes

In 2007, I wrote about the Virginia Tech shooting and today I am reminded of how short life is.  It really saddens me that another senseless shooting has happened. It breaks my heart more that it was at an elementary school...so many innocent, and perhaps promising young people who did not deserve such violent deaths. There is never a more suitable time for such a tragedy to happen, but it is so much worse that it happened so close to Christmas. Instead of the season being a time for joy and family togetherness, it will be a time for remembering, loss, and sadness for those who lost their sons, daughters, parents, friends.  It just breaks my heart.

I wrote these words then...and I feel the same way now:
  • Just this past week, I faced a lot of personal challenges and managed organizational crises handled difficult individuals. I am exhausted. But what happened today at Virginia Tech in Newtown, Connecticut is enough to remind me that last week the past few days is now the past. I can no longer change what has happened, what has been said, what has been done. BUT I am still able to do what needs to be done. I am still alive. That is enough.

No comments: