Tuesday, June 03, 2008

biting the bullet

I have been avoiding this since I came to the US, but I guess it's time I just faced my fear. The following is an email I sent to a friend, but I might as well post it here. haha...

I AM [FINALLY] TAKING DRIVER’S ED. Oh yes, you read that right! And my nerdy self really came in handy when I took the written for my permit. I crammed that manual in one night and very much breezed through the test. The DMV woman said, “Boy, you zipped right through that! I guess the semi-photographic memory (although a bit rusty) does have its advantages. Hahaha. When John is driving, I can spew that stuff out word per word in my head. I don’t say it out loud all the time though, I think that would drive John crazy. Hahahaha.

Walking into that class though….Boy, do I feel OLD! More than 3/4 of the class is either 14 or 15. hahaha. When the instructors told the parents they can leave their kids after the first 15 minutes, I felt like the kids all expected me to stand up and leave too. The two young guys (14 and 16) that I share the car with asked me how old I was “for real”. When I said, I’m 31, the younger one said, “Dang! Really? Man!” I was like, “You didn’t have to say it so loud, you know.” Hahaha. But it was ok. Both of them have driven in the open country before so I said they just need to be patient with me when I’m behind the wheel. Haha.

For today, we did serpentines around rows of cones several times on the “driving course.” I didn’t knock any of the cones down, so that was good! The car didn’t die on me either. AND the instructor said for someone who’s not driven before, I have pretty smooth starts and stops…no whiplash action for the two guys in the back seat. Haha. Oh, and when I went through my last round rather smoothly, the boys were like, “Score!!!” hahaha. My own little cheering squad. So sweet. I don’t know how well I’d have done if I was in the car with the caffeinated cheerleaders though. Hahahaha.


1 comment:

ragamuffin girl said...

hey hey good for you! driving is great, it's freedom, mobility and independence rolled into one. It's man's power over machine hahahahaha it's also the easiest way to work yourself up into a RAGE. :)

Wala ka bang balak to workin HK?