Friday, August 29, 2008

E-Heads, the Reunion

I learned from a friend that the Eraserheads are having a reunion concert. I hope they come out with a live recording—I’d buy the CD! I have a copy of the tribute album and I played that non-stop for quite a while. It was pretty cool to hear artists like Rico J Puno sing E-heads classics.

Listening to the E-heads brings back a lot of memories. I always associate my UP days with the E-heads (and to a lesser extent, Parokya ni Edgar and others I first got to see during the FOPC Concerts and UP Fairs before they got crazy famous). I even lived in the same compound with Ely and Marcus and at that time, I didn’t really think much of it. I appreciated that they were so down to earth even if they were popular. I’m not sure if it changed in later years, but they were very humble. None of the “we’re stars-and-you’re-not” type of airs. Maybe it was also because they treated my roommate like a little sister (her older brother was a friend from their Kalayaan days). I remember them jamming out and playing their video games really loud, though. But then again, not a lot of people in the compound minded having to listen to the E-heads live, right. Haha.

I do remember coming home one day (from one of their gigs, no less) and seeing Francis M just hanging out. So they asked me and my roommate to join the small get together. I was not much of a drinker so when they offered me the shot of tequila, my roommate told them I was allergic to alcohol (which is the truth, by the way). They just laughed and asked what year I was in. Of course when they found out I was a freshman, they said, “Di bale, konting tagal pa sa UP, mawawala rin yang allergy mo.” Hahahaha. I left the party when other people started to get crazy—after all, I was a very naïve freshie. Hahahahaha.

If I had to choose only five songs as favorites, it would be very hard…but I think it would boil down to the following:

  • Pare Ko (Of course. Seriously, who doesn’t like this song?)
  • With A Smile (So I’m sappy..sue me!)
  • Huwag Mo Nang Itanong
  • Ligaya
  • Huwag Kang Matakot

But Toyang, Kailan, Ang Huling El Bimbo, Tindahan ni Aling Nena, and Magasin are not far behind. I do appreciate, though, that the lyrics are so REAL. Maybe that’s what made them such hits--they were so relatable.

Now that I look back, I wish I had them sign all the albums I had. After all, they’re music icons from my generation. Too bad I wasn’t a groupie. Hahaha

3 comments:

Ann Asiatico said...

Haha! I remember when they were first coming out, they had a concert in Baguio and my cousin and his friends were coordinating it... i didn't even know who they were... so in the van where we transported the E-heads to the concert site i was sitting beside Ely Buendia. My other cousin was bugging me to change seats with her, then in my loudest voice i said "What?! Who? What is the big deal anyway??" haha - then Ely just looked at me and smiled... classic! hahaha eh malay ko ba kasi!

ragamuffin girl said...

love the e-heads, sana nga nag groupie ako haha! with A Smile is the best- sappy is happy!

wow loser ka pala nun freshie ka hahahahahahahahahaahahahahah

amz said...

ann: friends nga tayo. hehe. mga clueless! nyahaha

dawn: nyahaha. oo, this was pre-bev mgt class so of course, wala pa akong alam sa alcohol--and what kinds I am less allergic to. hehehe.